The Tomas Bata Statue

The Thomas Bata Memorial Park was created in July 1955 and incorporated a war memorial dedicated to the eighty-one men of The British Bata Shoe Company, East Tilbury who lost their lives in the Second World War. A second, smaller garden was created in the same year to celebrate the founder of the company, Thomas Bata who had died in a plane crash in 1932. These spaces incorporate sculpture by the English sculptor Joseph Cawthra.

The Heritage Garden is a small green mid-C20 formal garden located within the Bata site and is situated in the vicinity of Buildings 12 and 13. Much of the area is awned and edged with mature Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) hedges and Poplar (Populus nigra) trees. The site is bordered on three sides by a variety of Bata factory buildings while the entrance is via a pathway located on Princess Margaret Road. The garden is located within Area 2 of the East Tilbury Conservation Area Boundary. The statue is situated in a small formal garden located on one of the diagonal pathways in front of Buildings 12 and 13.

The Bata Estate            The Bata Factory           The Bata Heritage Centre