THURROCK RUGBY CLUB
|The club was formed
in 1928 as Grays Rugby Football Club, by L T (Jack)
Edwards. The home games were played at Orsett, using
changing facilities in a barn behind the Whitmore Arms
until the outbreak of war in 1939.
After the war the name was changed to Thurrock Rugby Football Club to reflect the wider area from which players were drawn. A short time was spent at the United Services Club in Stanford before the club base moved to the R.A.F.A. Club in Southend Road, Grays. Money was then raised to build the former clubhouse in Long Lane, which was opened in January 1966.
Thirteen years were spent at this clubhouse, where the number of teams increased to six senior sides and a Colts XV. The stage was set for the Successful Seventies when Thurrock was undoubtedly the top club in Essex.
The natural progression was to bring together the playing and social facets of club activity under one roof.. Work started in September 1978 and by January 1979 the present clubhouse was occupied. The official opening was in October 1979 by R.F.U. President, A W Ramsay, when a host of international players entertained a crowd of 2000 plus.
Taken with permission from the web-site
of the Thurrock Rugby Football Club: www.thurrockrfc.com/
Return to top