from Little Thurrock, Church
and Parish by Jean V. Matthews (1970)
The church of St Mary the Virgin in
Dock Road is a Grade II* listed building and one of the
pilgrim churches along the River Thames. It is partly
Norman and entered through a late 19th century porch and
a much-restored 14th century doorway. Just inside to the
left is an early 16th century holy water stoup; to the
right is the 19th century font.
The nave was built around 1170 and was lengthened
westwards in 1884 when the west tower was built. The bell
in the west tower is said to be by Richard Phelps, built
in 1711 and was originally inside the church. The point
at which the original building ended can still be seen on
the outside of the south wall.
The chancel, since been restored, was made new 600 years
ago, and has simple sedilia with beautiful capitals and a
piscina with more elaborate ornament. On the south wall
of the cancel is the First World War memorial to the
The rector, Rev Edward Bowlby, spent £50 adding the
south vestry in 1858, complete with new ornaments for the
pulpit and reading desk, communion table etc. The organ
chamber was built in 1909.
The pulpit dates from 1700, and the modern reredos has
tracery of the 15th century. The north-east and south-west
windows have been much restored, but show traces of 14th
century workmanship. The stained glass in the east window,
depicting the Virgin and Child, was the work of Goddard
& Gibbs in 1966.