St. John the Baptist, Mucking
St John's is a Grade II* listed building. The door is in the south wall and the church is medieval. In 1849-50 the church was partially destroyed with a view to its reconstruction. It was left in a ruinous state until restoration started in 1852 and was finally completed in 1887. The massive column in the south arcade is Norman. The capital has carvings of heads and devices entangled in foliage, and is the most striking feature of the church interior. The east window is about 500 years old. The north wall has an elegant arcade in three divisions, the moderately pointed arches springing from Purbeck marble columns of light and graceful design. In each recess is a 13th century lancet window well proportioned. These windows are set in an arcade two bays of which can be seen in the outside wall. This could indicate that a chapel once stood originally north of chancel. On the south side there are three sedilia and a double piscina. It has been conjectured from the extremely low level of the seats in the sedilia that the whole chancel floor was raisd from is original level. The battlemented tower contains three bells.
This is now a private residence.