St. Jamess , West Tilbury
This Grade II* church dates from the late11th and early 12th century. It was altered in 14th century. It is mainly built from flint and ragstone rubble with limestone dressings. The roof is tiled. The nave is from the 12th century. There is a 12th century window with rounded head and remains of one 13th century window. The 11th century chancel has a 19th century east window with 14th century splays and rear arch. The north wall has a 14th century window with a two centered rear arch, and a 19th century window with part of the late 11th century window above. The south wall has two19th century windows incorporating some 14th century detail. The north vestry, west tower and porch are from 1879, but incorporate much early material.
There is a brass indent in the nave that has a marginal inscription, somewhat defaced, done in Lombardic capitals, and is of the same century (the 14th) as the piscine in the chancel. Belonging to the previous century is the coffin-lid with its raised cross to be found in the nave.
There were formerly five 17th century bells in the tower. One was by Thomas Bartlett, two were by John Wood, one was by James Bartlett while the maker of the fifth is unknown.
William Laud, later archbishop of Canterbury was appointed rector of West Tilbury from 1609 to 1616. Also rector of West Tilbury was William More in 1534, later Bishop Suffragan of Colchester and Valentine Carie in 1603, later Dean of St Pauls and Bishop of Exeter .
The church is now a private residence.