Orsett Cricket Club


   
TLHS Home Page

Patrons of the society

TLHS publications

Meetings and events

People and places of interest in Thurrock

Contacts

Sports and leisure

Thurrock Church Brasses

According to a reference book in Grays’ library, cricket was being played in Orsett as early as 1839. A two innings match took place between Orsett and Stock in which Orsett won by two wickets. Most of the players were from the farming community and the home games were played on a ground near Orsett Hall..

Dr Corbett and W H Sackett were vice-presidents of the club, both good sportsmen who were also founder members of Orsett Golf Club. When the Whitmore family came to
Orsett Hall in 1890, Captain Whitmore took a great interest in the team and became the Patron of the club.

In 1906 it was decided that a larger ground was needed and the Parish offered Captain Whitmore 40 an acre for six acres of land in the club’s present position in School Lane. The offer was accepted for two acres; Captain Whitmore made a generous free gift of the remaining four acres.

In 1936 Orsett Rural Council was amalgamated with Purfleet Rural Council and Tilbury and Grays Town Councils to form Thurrock Urban District Council. For some time it was becoming a problem to maintain the Cricket Club Ground by then known as Orsett Recreation Ground. In 1937 it was reluctantly decided to hand the ground over to the new local authority. The offer was accepted and the LA acquired the ground with no cost to the ratepayer.

Orsett Cricket Club continues to be a friendly and successful club coaching young people in the game and involving members of the community in many ways with volunteering and attending social events. The club is affiliated to the following organisations:

  England & Wales Cricket Board
Essex County Cricket Board
South Essex District Cricket Board
Club Cricket Conference
Essex Association of Boys Clubs
Essex Playing Fields Association

Members of :

  Shepherd Neame Essex League
Spa Tec Essex Sunday League


Main source: Mr E H Rowley (1948)
For more information click here:
www.orsettcc.co.uk

   

Return to top