THE INN SIGNS OF THURROCK
|By Glyn Morgan|
|The following article,
Inn Signs of Thurrock,
selected by our guest editor Christopher Harrold, was
published in the autumn of 1956 and was the first article
in the first Journal of Thurrock Local History Society.
It is 49 years since the article was published and since
then several of the public houses mentioned have closed,
changed their name or been demolished. Examples of these
are: the Acorn, Stifford Clays; the Harrow, Bulphan; the
Rising Sun, Grays; the Queens, Grays; the Blue Anchor,
The article has a comment on the lack of rabbits in Thurrock. It was written at the height of the mixamatosis outbreak which lead to the death of about 90% of the rabbit population. The population has now recovered and there are rabbits in abundance in Thurrock in 2005.
We have added to the original article a number of illustrations of the current (2005) signs of a number of the inns that he mentions. These photos were taken by Derek Austin.
Glyn Morgan was the author of Forgotten Thameside, a delightful survey of the buildings and history of the Thurrock parishes. He also wrote The Romance of Essex Inns which includes a number of Inns in Thurrock.
There are numerous references to Thurrock inn signs in the Societys journals:
Volume , pages 2-7,23; , 69-70;
,25,62; , 34-43,50; , 5, 10-19,26,34-36,40; ,
6-9,14,15,68,69; , 11;
Return to top
This page last updated on 07 November 2005