Fieldwork and Discoveries
|On the Thames foreshore at East Tilbury|
Randal Bingley inspects a Georgian chamber pot - probably dating from about 1830. He reconstructed it from the fragments found on the foreshore at East Tilbury, near Coalhouse Fort in 2002 - see map below. It is decorated with a design that includes the initials GR and a crown. It was probably government issue and the survival of the fragments in the same place suggest it may have belonged to the garrison at Tilbury Fort which is nearby. The chamber pot has been deposited in the Thurrock Museum.
Additional photos courtesy of Kevin Diver.
Return to top