AVELEY FOOTBALL CLUB
A Club History
|Aveley Football Club
was formed in 1927 and played in several leagues with
success until 1939, club activities were then suspended
during the war years 1939/45. In 1946 the club was
reformed and joined the Thurrock Combination. Aveley
twice won the Essex Junior Cup firstly in 1947/48, then
retained the trophy the following season 1948/49.
Aveley was granted Senior League status in season 1949/50 by the Essex Count F.A. and were also elected into London League Division Two. The following Season 1950/51 they were elected into London League Division One and became Champions of the Division in season 1951/52. During this latter season Aveley purchased their present ground 'Mill Field' and were promptly nicknamed "The Millers".
The Millers were again Champions of the London League in season 1954/55, then were elected to the Delphian League in season 1955/56, where they competed with little success.
1963/64 saw Millers go into the Athenian League, then in 1964/65 they were granted full membership to the Football Association. Season 70/71 was probably the Millers most successful season, during which they reached the 1st Round proper of the F.A. Cup, were F.A. Amateur Cup quarter finalists and Champions of the Athenian League.
Aveley were elected to the Isthmian League in season 1973/74 and competed without success in Division One until relegated to Division Two North at the end of the season 1985/86. Season 1989/90 saw Aveley gain promotion back to Division One following a tremendous end of season run-in.
Recent successes have been, winners of the Essex Thameside Trophy in season 1979/80, winners of the Hornchurch Charity Cup in 1982/83 and Runners Up in the same competition in 1983/84. Season 1988/89 saw Millers win the East Anglian Cup, defeating Cambridge City in the Final. Season 1989/90 culminated in winning the leagues coveted AC Delco Cup beating St. Albans City 3-0 in the Final tie.
Return to top